What started as a simple interview between Adformatie and John Mescall, who is the creative director for ‘Dumb ways to die’, accelerated into a printed 8-page section and animated short film about his 8 inspirational sources.
Mescall’s words are brough to life using a voice-over and there is no better person than Mescall himself to record his own spin of thought. His calm, Australian accent becomes a strong inspiration and sets the tone for the rest of the project.
“From that moment on it became a team effort”, explains the Director, “using up every spare moment to design and animate every aspect of the short film. All designers were given complete freedom to experiment based on the given interview script, which resulted in almost 20 different approaches. So for every chapter we adopted a specific style using either paper animations, 3D animations, pencil animations and a lot more making it a showcase of all our in-house design talent.”
The creative freedom in this project is the cherry on the cake, keeping the spontaneity in every second. The music and visuals came together in a beautiful way bringing Mescall’s words to life in print and in animation.
- Creative Directors Vincent Lammers, Nils Adriaans
- Art Directors –
- Designers Maureen van der Hout, Ewoudt Boonstra, Aylin Buyruk, Jurriën Boogert, Nick Groeneveld, Vincent Lammers
- Illustrators Maureen van der Hout, Ewoudt Boonstra, Aylin Buyruk, Jurriën Boogert, Nick Groeneveld, Vincent Lammers
- Photographers –
- Editors –
- Copywriters Nils Adriaans
- Design & Animation Director Vincent Lammers
- Associate Design & Animation Director Jurriën Boogert, Nick Groeneveld
- Animation Jurriën Boogert, Nick Groeneveld, Vincent Lammers, Rink Hof, Denise Nedermeijer, Iris van den Akker
- Music & Sound Design Joep Meijburg