FUTURA. DIE SCHRIFT.
Happy 90th birthday FUTURA!
Once you have come to recognize it, you can find it everywhere – FUTURA. First introduced in Frankfurt/Main in 1927, the typeface quickly became an international bestseller, spread throughout all the world’s major metropolises and even reaching the moon. Designed by typographer Paul Renner within the concept of the »New Typography«, Futura is considered an embodiment of the spirit of the 1920s avant-garde. Accordingly, it determined the »modern« appearance of many print media, also shaping the look of large brand names.
The catalogue accompanies the exhibition FUTURA. THE TYPEFACE. at the Gutenberg-Museum Mainz and features some never before shown finds to illustrate the global success story of this typeface whose popularity continues undiminished to this day.
Inspired by the Apollo 11 images we decided to pay tribute to silver and cite the cover of the wonderful silver specimen of 1933. Instead of citing the classic red and black – new typography look., we used the color palette of a folder with job works from the 1950s and combined it with the elegant FUTURA light typeface, where ever possible. The dimensions of the book derive from the dimensions of the original type proofs. They are reproduced in a special chapter on light weight paper.
- Creative Directors –
- Art Directors Isabel Naegele, Petra Eisele
- Designers Stephanie Kaplan, Basel and Isabel Naegele, Darmstadt
- Illustrators Stephanie Kaplan, Basel
- Photographers Institute Designlab Gutenberg / University of Applied Sciences Mainz and others
- Editors Petra Eisele, Annette Ludwig, Isabel Naegele
- Copywriters CHRISTOPHER BURKE, UTE BRÜNING, CARINA DANZER, Petra Eisele, STEVEN HELLER, KLAUS KLEMP, IVA KNOBLOCH, ANDREAS KOOP, Annette Ludwig, Isabel Naegele, ERIK SPIEKERMANN & FERDINAND ULRICH, Michel Wlassikoff