UPON PAPER magazine is a portfolio object with a strong physical presence. With its 49 x 69cm closed format (19.3 x 27 in.) and 2,25kg weight it is hardly a publication that can easily be consumed while sitting in the tube or doing something else along the way. It demands enough space and the reader‘s full attention.
Each issue is dedicated to one leitmotif. UPON PAPER #02 explores the topic ”Color”. The oeuvres of legendary artists such as Nick Knight, David Bailey and Hermann Nitsch are blended with works by up and coming creatives like David B. Sherry and Erwan Frotin.
New production techniques allow the use of fluorescent colours. The lavish production make UPON PAPER magazine a multi sensual experience. Single sheets from the magazine can be used as posters.
The magazine is part of a 3 channel concept including an exhibition space in Berlin and an online platform. Its target group is an international creative community as well as everyone who is interested in art on paper.
UPON PAPER is initiated by Hahnemühle FineArt, Germany‘s oldest paper manufacturer. The project is completely independent both artistically and editorial-wise.
- Creative Directors Helder Suffenplan
- Art Directors Paul Hetherington
- Designers Thomas Senft
- Illustrators –
- Photographers David Bailey, Nick Knight, Solange Brand, Steve Schapiro, Erwan Frotin
- Editors Boris Pofalla
- Copywriters Mark Gisbourne, Julia Zange, Andreas Toelke, Markus Schaden, Boris Pofalla, Anja Aronowsky Cronberg
- Editor in Chief Holger Homann
- Publisher Holger Homann, Michael Siekiera